Friday, December 13, 2013

My Christmas House 2013















My husband and I have turned into the sappiest people you have ever met, I mean it borders on the ridiculous. We are two of the most grateful people you've ever known these days. I used to really enjoy watching Media (Big Mama) videos on Youtube, and I remember one in particular where she said that until you've really been down, you don't really know how to appreciate up; that's us! Here's an example from yesterday evening. My husband has spent every free moment working on repairing his engine block the last few weeks, taking the bus to and from work, which adds two extra hours to his work day, everyday. We have a car fund for repairs but my own car needed work done in October, and then Neal's engine blew in November, so the fund had been drained. My husband decided to repair the car himself in order to save some of the money that we didn't have. It would mean becoming a one car family for awhile and sacrificing family time for a season while he worked, but he really felt like he could do it, so I agreed. He got lots of advice and help from his brother and worked diligently on it all hours of the day and night; his goal being to finish by last night. At about 10pm yesterday evening, I was sitting at my computer and heard his car turn over and I rejoiced!! I went running downstairs to the garage where we literally jumped up and down like two little kids who had just found out that they're going to Disneyland until I noticed Neal had tears in his eyes. I giggled and asked, "are you crying?" To which he replied that he was so grateful. This morning he even thanked God for being with him every step of the way while he worked on the car. We even toasted with champagne right before bed last night to his big accomplishment.

The smallest things mean the world to us and we are constantly talking to each other of all that we have to be grateful for which can be anything from a fixed engine, a daughter's paper for school, a Christmas card, a photography appointment, ANYTHING. God brought us to a place where we were forced to appreciate even the smallest things in life and it's filled our hearts and lives with JOY. We're an emotional bunch but we're jolly and really enjoying this Christmas more than I remember enjoying any holiday since I was a child.

I think that our healing even shows in our home which is why I decided to share photos of it this year. In years past I think I worked to decorate in an impressive way that looked like a lovely house at Christmas, this year it feels like a home. I've got Lucy, my little sidekick, always at my heals during the day, and then my family fills the house in the evenings. I think my favorite decoration is my card holder garland over the dutch door which is the first time I've made something where I can say, "I saw this on pinterest- haha." I like how the cards are on display for all to enjoy rather than in a basket, I could look at those sweet faces of people I love all day long. I love my home this year and am so grateful for it and I truly believe that whether you have a large family tree or a tiny lit porcelain one on your dining room table like my grandma does, there's beauty all around us to savor this Christmas season.

While I adore Christmas music and I love to fill my home with the sounds of Oh Holy Night, and White Christmas, or anything by Michael Buble (well except santa buddy, haha) there is one song that is my absolute favorite Christmas medley of all time and it makes me want to stop everything and just worship the Lord. I am posting it here so that maybe you can savor this song this season while your baking, cleaning, cooking, or wrapping your gifts and remember the amazing thing that Jesus did for us when he became a baby in a manger.

Pin It

41 comments:

  1. Just Amazing. Soooo Amazing. PRAISE JESUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Thank you Thank you for posting pictures of your darling SIMPLE home. I know I'm not alone when you post pics of your house...I stop everything to get my house/home inspiration. LOL! You really have a knack and its not over the top, ever. It's just right! In fact if you don't want to do photography you could do decorating! :) Have a great Christmas Lissa! Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. You continue to bless me EVERY.TIME.YOU. POST...
    Merry CHRISTmas

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treat to see pictures of your home!! Your's was always one of my favorites. :) I love your tree and simple decorations, especially the Christmas card holder. Your joy is contagious! I've been in the kitchen today decorating a gingerbread house while listening to klove streaming on the computer and feel so thankful too. I agree that lean times can make us appreciate things more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lissa! I'm so excited that you posted pictures of your beautiful home. It's so cozy and inviting! I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing holiday!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post! As I read it, I smiled because you so beautifully wrote exactly where I am in my life. I am so filled with gratitude for the many blessings God has given me. I am working my way through a situation and knowing He is with me, brings me comfort like I've never known.

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your home is lovely but your heart is even more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your home looks beautiful and cozy. I've always loved your decorating style and enjoy seeing photos. Thank you for sharing. The pops of yellow in your house are fun! P.S. Where are your stockings from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just bought them this year from anthropologie. thanks!

      Delete
  9. God is so good and faithful
    i was just reading ann voscamps post and how she prays each day to be
    a womb for God...that is what you all are doing...xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just beautiful! Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful! I love your special glasses too! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  12. i just adore seeing you on IG and reading here, Lissa.
    you radiate true JOY and happiness that is only found in the Lord.
    it is so refreshing!
    have a WONDERFUL Christmas with your family, hon!

    xo
    mary

    ps your style and home are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i always love peeking into your home, especially all sparkly for christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your home is beautiful! Where did you get your grain sack looking pillows from. I just love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! they're from restoration hardware.

      Delete
  15. Just pretty love the blue eyed mini! How to men do that pullskills out of their pockets maybe it's like us & cooking just what God intended for us to provide and teach each other. Merry Christmas to You & Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I popped in here and was delighted to see all the photos of your home and before I even read any of the text your home looked warm and cozy like you could walk right in, plonk yourself on the couch with a book and a cuppa and you'd fit right in. Two things that stood out for me was the over the door garland with the cards (again this took my fancy before I read the text) and the other thing is that huge NOEL.....OMG I love it. Where did you get that from and what size is it. I love it. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the sweet comment! I found my sign at Pottery Barn and it's about 4ftx4ft. Have a great day!

      Delete
  17. I wanted to thank you for welcoming us all in blog land into your beautiful home! It truly is a "home". I have been following you for years and always enjoy "peaking" into your home. I feel so restful looking at photos of your home.
    Could you share where is all your lovely artwork from?
    Happy Holidays to you and your family~
    xo
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love signs and good places to look are sugarboo designs, between you and me, and house of belonging on etsy. Otherwise I just shop at pottery barn and crate and barrel for most of the other artwork in the house. Thank you!!!

      Delete
  18. Beautiful and refreshing Holiday home! Thank you for posting and sharing your wonderful style. I have made it a point to count my blessings every day and to express my gratitude. May your family have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. your heart and home have joined together….your home is beautiful.
    …one of my favorites.

    saw your reply up above…thanks for the mention..means the world coming from you with your impeccable style.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your home is gorgeous! I love how it's not overly decorated and looks so natural. The pops of yellow look fabulous! I love it all. Would you mind sharing where you purchased the large tray on top of your coffee table? I love how large it is. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your home is gorgeous! I love how natural it looks without being overly decorated. The pops of yellow look fabulous. I love it all! Would you mind sharing where you purchased the round tray on your table and the tray on your coffee table? I love how large they are. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the tray in the dining room from the rose bowl flea and the one on the coffee table from a local boutique called Haley's cottage.

      Delete
    2. And thank you for your kind comment!!!

      Delete
  22. I popped over here from Pinterest and I am now a new follower! Looks like we're local to each other. I love how you decorated, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your blog, I love your decorating style, I love your spunk, I love your attitude, I love your faith. I'm 55 and find YOU inspirational. And always feel privileged that you are generous enough to share your life so eloquently with others. Cheers......Anita

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's beautiful friend. Twinkly, warm and homey!! Just mailed your card today. Can't wait to see it on that garland holder:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Once again your home and your message has touched my heart. Your home is beautiful and your message hits so close to home! Thank you for always opening your heart up to us, it really means a lot.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow your house is gorgeous!!! I love your garland with the Christmas cards--how do you hang your cards on the garland??

    ReplyDelete
  27. thank you!! I just use paper clips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. have you ever seen the blog Sylvia's Simple Life? It makes me think of you with her beautiful photos and food:) If not, check her out!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lissa, I've come back to these images over & over when I need a moment of calm. Where did you find those gorgeous champagne glasses? They are just spectacular.

    Merriest Christmas wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! they're from anthropoloie!

      Delete
  30. Thank you for sharing your beautiful home with us. I find it really inspiring. I love the front door and all of your punches of yellow! I am working really hard to simplify my home so it will have a nice calm feeling like I get when I look at the pictures of yours. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lissa, I stop in every now and then to catch up on you! Your pictures are amazing and it sounds like you and your sweet family are doing wonderful!!! Praise God from Whom ALL Blessings flow!!!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your home. It is so beautiful. It's also beautiful to see how God has blessed your family over the past few years that I have been visiting your blog. HE is so good!

    Lissa, can you tell me what color of paint you have on the walls in your living room? I am looking for a new color and I love yours.

    ♥Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete